Yevons Bane FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Guide To Writing Macro's

Go down

A Guide To Writing Macro's Empty A Guide To Writing Macro's

Post by Admin Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Macros are an amazing way to improve your gameplay. They allow you to add multiple abilities to a single button, cast abilities on mouse-over, cast abilities on a marked enemy instead of your target, and much more. Unfortunately, these macros can be a bit confusing to set up. The goal of this guide is to give you a complete understanding of how macros work and how to design them to do exactly what you want.

Getting Started

Important: By default, error messages are enabled in the default chat window. I recommend going to the System Menu (Esc) > Character Configuration > Log Window Settings > [1] General > Announcements tab > Turn Off "Error Messages."

To start making macros, open the System menu using the Escape key and select "User Macros." You'll notice there are some default macros already created in the upper left. You can choose to delete, modify, or ignore these. To create a new macro, select one of the empty numbers on the left and lets get started.

A macro is divided into three parts. You have the macro name, the macro icon, and the chat commands. Most of these chat commands will also require a targeting placeholder, such as <t> or <me>. When creating a new macro, the first step is to give it a name and then click on the empty box to the left of the name to assign an icon. The name and icon can be anything you want and have no effect on the macro's functionality.

Once the macro is named, you can move onto the commands. While the most common commands for macros are /action (/ac), /wait, and /marking (/mk), there are a large number of possible commands. You can have up to 15 of these commands in a single macro. To create a macro, you will need to decide what you want the macro to do. Let's start out simple and make a macro to combine multiple defensive buffs into a single button. To do this, you would give the macro a name and icon (anything), and then add the following lines:

/macroicon "Foresight"
/ac "Featherfoot" <me>
/ac "Keen Flurry" <me>
/ac "Foresight" <me>

The /macroicon "Foresight" command will change the icon to Foresight, allowing you to track it's cooldown on the icon. The first time you click this macro, it would use Featherfoot. If you click it again, it will use Keen Flurry since the first ability, Featherfoot, is on cooldown. This allows you to condense many abilities into a few buttons. If you would like all the abilities to be used from a single click, you can add a /wait 2.5 command between each /action. I personally prefer not to use /wait, as not using it allows me to control if I use all the abilities, or only a few.

Don't stop here, though! Combining abilities is far from the only thing macros can do. Check out the macro templates below, as well as the Job Macro lists to get an idea of the different functions macros can perform. Once you're comfortable using the templates and pre-made macros, don't forget to check out the command and placeholder lists to create your own.

Useful Macros Templates

/macroicon "Ability"
/ac "Ability" <t>
/ac "Ability" <tt>

Attempts to use the action on the current target. If the action cannot be used on the target, it will attempt to use it on your target's target. Useful for healers to nuke the tank's target. You can also use this with healing spells, allowing you to target monsters and heal whoever it is attacking.

/macroicon "Ability"
/ac "Ability" <mo>

Attempts to cast the ability on your mouseover target. This is great for healers to heal while having an enemy targeted.

/macroicon "Buff #3"
/ac "Buff #1" <me>
/ac "Buff #2" <me>
/ac "Buff #3" <me>

This will use one of the Buffs each time the button is clicked, starting with Buff #1. This is great for both defensive and offensive cooldowns. If you would wish for all of the buffs to be used with a single press of the button, add /wait 0.5 between each buff.

/macroicon "Attack #1"
/ac "Attack #1" <t>
/ac "Attack #2" <t>
/ac "Attack #3" <t>

While similar to the above example, this macro would be used for attacks that have a cooldown, allowing you to create a priority list. The main Job that benefits from such macros is Bard. This macro attempts to use attack #1. If it cannot due to attack #1 being on cooldown, not having enough MP/TP, or during a global cooldown, it will attempt to use the next ability and repeat this process.

/mk "bind2" <t>

This will mark your target with the bind2 icon. You can use a number of different icons, including attack1-5, stop1-2, bind1-3, square, circle, cross, or triangle. You can also use different targeting methods, such as <mo>. Get creative!

/macroicon "Ability"
/mk "attack1" <t>
/ac "Ability" <t>

This is a great tank macro to use with your initial pulling ability such as Shield Lob or Tomahawk. It will use that ability and mark the target as the priority kill target.

/macroicon "CC Ability"
/ac "CC Ability" <bind1>
/ac "CC Ability" <t>

Attempts to cast a crowd-control ability, such as Sleep, on the bind1 target. You can also use other targeting options such as ignore1-5 or focus. If no target is marked or set to focus, the macro will just cast the ability on your target.

/blist add <r>
This will add the last player to send you a message to your blacklist. Perfect for minimizing gil-seller spam.

Job Specific Macros

White Mage

Macro Description
/macroicon "Cure"
/ac "Cure" <mo>

This will cast Cure on your mouseover target. If you are a fan of mouseover healing, create a macro like this for each targeted heal.

/macroicon "Stone"
/ac "Stone" <t>
/ac "Stone" <mo>
/ac "Stone" <tt>

This will allow you to cast Stone on your mouseover or tank's target without ever losing target of the tank. Make this macro for Stone II, Aero, and Aero II. The <mo> line is optional.

/macroicon "Cure"
/ac "Cure" <tt>
/ac "Cure" <t>

This macro is mainly for FATE healing. If you target an enemy, it will heal whoever it is attacking. I don't recommend using this macro as your main healing macro since it will heal the wrong person if you target another healer.

/macroicon "Benediction"
/ac "Benediction" <t>

This macro will prevent Benediction from smart-targeting and accidentally healing yourself if you lose your target.

/macroicon "Repose"
/ac "Repose" <ignore1>

This will allow you to Repose a target without having to lose target on the tank. You can choose a number of targeting options, including <focus>, <ignore1-2>, <bind1-3>, or even <mo>.

/macroicon "Divine Seal"
/ac "Divine Seal" <me>
/ac "Presence of Mind" <me>

This will combine your Divine Seal and Presence of Mind into a single button. One click will only use Divine Seal, while multiple clicks will activate both. You can choose to add a /wait 0.5 between them if you would always like Presence of Mind to activate, but I wouldn't recommend it.

/macroicon "Raise"
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/ac "Raise" <t>

This macro will Swiftcast > Raise as quickly as possible, but you will need to spam the button.

Scholar Macros

/macroicon "Adloquium"
/ac "Adloquium" <mo>

This will cast Adloquium on your mouseover target. If you are a fan of mouseover healing, create a macro like this for each targeted heal.

/macroicon "Bio"
/ac "Bio" <t>
/ac "Bio" <mo>
/ac "Bio" <tt>

This will allow you to cast Bio on your mouseover or tank's target without ever losing target of the tank. Make this macro for all of your damaging spells. The <mo> line is optional.

/macroicon "Adloquium"
/ac "Adloquium" <tt>
/ac "Adloquium" <t>

This macro is mainly for FATE healing. If you target an enemy, it will heal whoever it is attacking. I don't recommend using this macro as your main healing macro since it will heal the wrong person if you target another healer.

/macroicon "Resurrection"
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/ac "Resurrection" <t>

This macro will Swiftcast > Resurrection as quickly as possible, but you will need to spam the button.

Bard Macros

/macroicon "Bloodletter"
/ac "Heavy Shot" <t>
/ac "Misery's End" <t>
/ac "Bloodletter" <t>

This will try to use Misery's End and Bloodletter during the global cooldown. I recommend creating macros for Windbite, Venomous Bite, and Straight Shot in place of Heavy Shot.

/macroicon "Hawk's Eye"
/ac "Barrage" <me>
/ac "Hawk's Eye" <me>

This will use both buffs at the same time. While you could add more buffs into this, these are the only two that have the same cooldown.

Admin
Admin

https://yevonsbane.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down